Today, I marveled at how well Network Appliance’s cluster failover feature worked. One head of a pair lost communication with its disks, the other head took over, and nobody noticed.
- I spent way too much time playing with the The Benny Hill-i-fier — a lovely, demented site that will take any youtube video and add Yakety Sax to it. Works especially well with time-lapse videos like Rocketboom’s Grand Central Station, the setup of the Post-it Donkey Kong, or the guy driving across country. It can also work with things like the Brainiac Egg Drop Experiment. Via Digg. Or the flash-mob rave at the College of Charleston Addlestone Library. Or….
- From the BBC Tech-Ops history site, devoted to lore and information about TV through the history of the BBC from the perspective of the studio techs, a post with information and a recreation of the very first pre-television moving picture broadcast, on the Baird Televisor. The rest of the site is just as interesting.
- Catbert provides pretty much the best explanation for the kind of thing that kicked off this financial crisis that I’ve heard to date. Via Reddit.
- The Flying Spaghetti Monster appears in holiday lights. Via Reddit.
- At some point, people will simply stop listening to ideological bluster, and talk about the real reasons for problems with the auto industry, as opposed to what the GOP wishes were the problems. Illustrated with a graph. Via Reddit. (Update: Via Salon.com, part ‘Two:’ of this conservative blog post is what I want to see more of. Analysis and educated decision making, not bloviating.)
- Here’s a really good idea for natural lighting, though sealing the cap might be problematic. Video in Portugese, but the concept is understandable. Recycling old water bottles as floodlights. Via Reddit.
- First they found one in Russia, now one from England. Seems schoolchildren have been doodling while bored in class for centuries. Scary to think that some random note or notebook sketch may turn up as an amusement in the year 3000. Via Reddit.
- For those who haven’t seen it, here was the only way Conan O’Brien could get an interview with Hunter S. Thompson to discuss his then-new book. Conan had to agree to travel to a farm in upstate New York to drink hard liquor and shoot guns. Bizarre, but seems appropriate for the man, somehow. Resurfaced via Reddit.
- Someone made a papercraft pattern of Link’s hat and hair from the Legend of Zelda game series, via NOTCOT.
- Um, season’s greetings, I guess… (via Reddit).
- I like bacon. Not this much.. Via Digg.
Tonight, via Reddit, Peter Sellers beats out William Shatner by about 40 years. A Hard Day’s Night in the style of Sir Laurence Olivier’s Richard the III.