Morning Fix Lives! (sort of)

So Mark Morford’s semi-daily newsletter The Morning Fix is only partly dead, and might return soon. Articles here, here, and here outline what happened; some uptight weenie with a misguided sense of humor and no clue as to what real journalism (well, freedom of speech at least) is about decided to try and shut the Fix down. It sounds like they’ll be back, though, and Morford might even get a print column out of it. YAY.

I hate when humorless people try to get stuff like this shut down. Is someone taping your eyelids open and forcing you to read it? No? Then sit down and shut up. Thank you. Drive through.

remodeling hell #1.1

The back bedroom, which was to be a fairly simple repaint and refloor and done, has turned into a bit of a behemoth.

First, we started experimenting with how to repair the scrape marks on the ceiling from the asbestos abatement. Not a big deal, just plaster over it with drywall compound. This turned out to be easy enough; the only issue is that it leaves big knife textures that even sanding doesn’t really get rid of. So we decide to texture it. Again not a big deal; I found some nice how-tos that show you how to make a decent knockdown and/or orangepeel texture using a paint roller, a paint pan full of runny drywall compound, and (30-60 minutes later as the stuff hardens) a drywall knife.
Continue reading

remodeling hell #1.0

So, here’s the next entry in my life of remodeling hell. I have good news, and I have bad news.

The good news is that the roof remodel finished, earlier than expected, and it looks wonderful. The roofers found lots of damaged wood, probably mostly from age, and replaced it all. They fixed the issue which caused the main roof leak initially, added a ridge vent along one portion to fix another issue, and replaced the skylights. All was a professional, wonderful job, and cost a grand total of about $15,000. (Since nobody else seems to say how much a new roof will cost, I will.)

The bad news is that I peeled away some drywall behind where we found another leak in the roof (prior to the new roof being installed) and discovered…more mold! Ugh. This is in a really inconvenient place, of course; in a wall between two rooms, one of which has the asbestos popcorn crap on the ceiling, so we’re going to have to completely empty that room as well.

See the next entry for the trials and tribulations of the back bedroom that only had asbestos on the ceiling and floor, but it looks like we won’t be able to finish the abatement work on the original mold issue (and get the rest of the mold abated as well) until we finish and can move into the back bedroom.

Sigh.