So it’s been a little bit since my last entry on this.
We got the permit I was so nervous about beforehand, and have already had two inspections on it, both apparently passing with flying colors. I suppose it pays to be meticulous.
The windows were installed, and look beautiful. They brighten up the room immensely.
I had to install a new diagonal cross-member to replace the existing one that had to be cut to put the windows in, then I had to insulate — we found Johns Manville Formaldehyde-Free Easy-Fit insulation, which is actually pretty cool, despite being fiberglass. Good for insulation, but makes bad itchies, even with coveralls and taped-up gloves and boot covers (although that does help a little bit).
We also put AstroFoil radiant barrier in all the stud cavities behind the insulation, since that wall faces south. We put astro-foil under the roof rafters in a couple of uninsulated parts of the house, and it smooths out the temperature swings (remember, California is a desert — hot during the day, cold at night) immensely. At some point I want to put it under the rafters across the whole house, but due to the amount of crap in the attic, that’s rather a large project.
That part wasn’t really all that bad. But then comes the stucco issue…